Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Text to Self: Six Things to Avoid in Blogging

Rate: 12 Flag
By Daniel Rigney
Blogging can be a valuable discipline for practicing writers. It can serve as both a learning tool and an unlearning tool. Here are a few things I’m trying to unlearn in my own writing here. Your self-advice may vary, of course, depending on the unique nature of your blog and voice.

Avoid Excessive Ranting and Sarcasm:
“I respect right-wing gasbag Rush Limbaugh as I would respect any porky pillhead on his fourth marriage.”

Avoid Excessive Ego: 
“We thinking people are a small but critically important segment of the American electorate.”
“My bestselling book with Knopf is now available in Italian and Korean translation.”

Avoid Premature Submission:
“As Earnest Hemingbird wrote or said, all first drafs are crap.”
[The best thing about blogging is that there's no editor. The worst thing is that there's no editor.]*

Avoid Overpublishing:
“As I noted in a previous blog post submitted ten minutes ago ….”

Avoid Wordiness (Not "Overly Excessive Wordiness"):
“In the introduction to this communication, I enumerated fifteen things to remember when, in the course of writing events – if we think of writing as a kind of speaking or talking, but through the medium of  ink or pixels or sometimes graphite rather than soundwaves  --  we seek to avoid overloquacity …. (etc., etc., etc.)” 
Translation: Here are some things to remember when you’re trying to write simply and  conversationally.

Avoid Oversharing:
“I wish I had never posted this ‘Text to Self’ bit. Now people will think I’m a complete doofus.”

 *For more on blogging in the Editor-Free World, see this previous post from Open Salon's  dunniteowl.
http://open.salon.com/blog/danagram

No comments:

Post a Comment