Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Critical Eating Skills


By Daniel Rigney
I’m a good eater, as my mother would say. I’ve rarely met a meal I didn’t like. While some of my best friends are foodies, and a few even qualify as gourmets, I can’t claim to be either of these myself.  
But I’m trying to improve. Really I am.
To sharpen my critical eating skills, I’ve decided to take a non-credit evening course at a nearby culinary institute. I couldn’t resist this course description in the evening catalogue. [You really can make these things up, by the way.]
 The catalogue copy reads, and I quote creatively:
In today’s relentlessly competitive corporate culture we’re judged by the foods we acclaim and the foods we disdain. French culture theorist Pierre Bourdieu observes that classification classifies the classifier. Thus our tastes (including our culinary tastes) locate our positions in the status matrix, and they classify not only our victuals but our very lives and social souls as well.
That’s why it’s so important, in today’s competitive status marketplace, to cultivate critically discerning palates as we knife and fork our way toward the cloud-shrouded cultural peaks that must surely await us.
Chef Trey Malaise III of Café du Fracque will guide us through a labyrinth of food choices as we follow the trails and entrails of the executive digestive system, sampling trays of canapés and entrees catered by some of Dallas’s most expensive (and hence exclusive) restaurants.
This semester we’ll be featuring the regional cuisines of the Texas Riviera, also known as the Third Coast – creatively-presented comestibles paired with wines we’ve discovered in the perfectly-chilled cellars of some of Dallas’s finer wine shoppes.
In our tastefully appointed dining chambers, we’ll be attended by a well-tailored and impeccably-mannered waitstaff. Together we’ll explore with Chef Malaise the distinctive cuisines of our region and beyond: Louisiana creole (no Cajuns please), bar becque, steak tartarsauce, faux tejana, veal fressenburger, grittes garlique, free-range chicken-fried goat, and insecta expensiva with an artistically-rendered cucaracha drizzle.
The fun comes later when we tell you what you’ve eaten. Some may choose this moment to retire to the adjoining “Roman Room” for a purgative respite in preparation for our second and third main courses.
For dessert: nouvelle Bleu Belle, including our newest flavor creation, amarillo armadillo, hand-crafted and flown in minutes earlier from an artisanal dairy.
T-bone appetite!
Tuition: If you have to ask, see our financial aid office. Gratuities and valet parking not included.
I’m signed up for the course on scholarship, and I'm ready to refine my critical eating skills. My mouth is already starting to water, and my stomach is ready to rumble.
Danagram

              

No comments:

Post a Comment